Message from our Clinical Director on healthcare during the Pandemic
Last updated on: Monday, 30th November
I am conscious that this may be a difficult and worrying time for you and wish to reassure you that Bon Secours Hospital Galway remains open and committed to safe delivery of care through the varying levels of restrictions as advised by Government.
Travel outside of your county for medical and/or surgical care is permitted. Healthcare is essential in this pandemic and does not infringe the restrictions.
The current pandemic situation will continue for many months unfortunately. Therefore, it is not sustainable to put off forever necessary treatments, clinic appointments or procedures. We would urge you not to overly delay healthcare issues as it may be storing up other problems for the future.
After many months of experience, we have developed stream-lined and safe pathways for our patients. Be assured that we are taking every precaution to keep our patients and staff safe.
Our colleagues will provide you with any necessary documentation and paperwork so you can get to our hospital for your procedures, clinics, appointments and treatments.
COVID-19 testing is available at all of our hospital for our patients and is covered by all Private Health Insurers. We have put many structures in place to ensure social distancing, infection control and enhanced safety measures. We endeavour to ensure that each person feels safe and relaxed on their visit to the Hospital.
Other steps we are taking include:-
• Adhering to national and best practice guidance on the use of masks and social distancing.
• Mapping all clinical areas to ensure adequate spacing between beds and chairs and to ensure safe flows for patients in and out with minimal contact with others
• Segregated entry pathways for certain patients
• Use of perspex screens in non-clinical areas
• Equipping our staff with the appropriate level of PPE
• Additional rigorous cleaning and decontamination measures
• Symptom screening all patients all the time
• Judicial use of isolation rooms to limit in-patient contact
• COVID-19 testing any patient transfers from other facilities to ensure that we limit infection exposure
• Special measures for all higher risk categories (cancer patients, overnight surgery, immunosuppressed)
• Visitor access suspended other than in exceptional circumstances.
Attending the Hospital
As we always would, but especially now for social distancing requirements, we kindly ask patients who are attending for out-patient appointments, day case procedures or inpatient admission to arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive early please wait in your car until your appointment time.
All patients will be asked a series of questions about COVID-19 in advance and on arrival at the hospital as part of our safe symptom screening process. All are required to wear a mask which will be provided during your time in the hospital.
Prof. Kieran Daly,
Bon Secours Hospital Galway.
To download the COVID Tracker App for Ireland click here. https://covidtracker.gov.ieRead More