World Diabetes Day is an annual event that takes place on November 14th. It’s a day where millions of people around the world come together to raise awareness of this disease. Unfortunately diabetes and pre-diabetes is a growing epidemic that is associated with serious health related complications. The International Diabetes Federation state that:
- 1 in 11 adults are living with diabetes globally.
- 1 in 2 adults with diabetes are undiagnosed.
The Diabetes team at the Bon Secours Hospital Cork took part by setting up an information stand in reception area of the hospital to highlight the warning signs of this illness. A diabetes nurse and dietician were at the stand to answer any questions and to also promote general healthy eating guidelines for all.
The warning signs of diabetes include:
- Excessive thirst
- Passing urine more frequently, especially at night
- Unintentional weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Cuts or wounds that are slow to heal
- Frequent infections