Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Practice within policies and procedures, legal requirements, guidelines and standards as directed by the Nursing Department and NMBI.
- Practice within the limits of one’s experience and with assistance from other members of the team.
- Maintain, espouse and practice professional knowledge and competence in assigned areas of responsibility, e.g. Scrub Nurse, Circulating Nurse, Anaesthetics, Recovery.
- Remain with and attend to the scrub nurses requirements throughout the procedure being carried out.
- Use discretion and decision making regarding patient care, referring appropriately to CNM/medical staff and other disciplines.
- Comply with the medications policy ensuring that regulations for the safekeeping and recording of scheduled drugs are adhered to at all times.
- Liaise and co-operate with the Infection Control Nurse in the prevention of Hospital acquired infection.
- Display a professional, courteous and caring liaison with patients and their relatives, staff and all other service users in line with the Bon Secours values.
- Function effectively and quickly in an emergency situation.
- Take responsibility for stock control, ensuring adequate levels of required supplies are held in Theatre at all times.
- Contribute to clinical ‘Best Practice’ by assisting in identifying recurrent clinical problems and implementing evidence-based practices.
- Participate and co-operate with risk management/best practice initiatives, including assisting with data collection and analysis.
- Deputise for the CNMs, as requested and plan/delegate staff workload in accordance with the needs of the Department.
- Ensure all adverse occurrences and/or difficulties concerning patients and staff are reported to the CNM/Director of Nursing, documenting full details as per Hospital Policy.
- Be aware of Health and Safety issues to provide and maintain safe environment for self, colleagues and patients.
- Comply with Health & Safety Regulations, ensuring safe working practices and a safe working environment.
- Participate in and co-operate with the Hospital’s Performance Review and Development System/Process.
- Monitor, report and, in association with the CNM, take appropriate corrective action on matters which:
(a) May not be in keeping with acceptable standards
(b) May inhibit the efficient operation or damage the reputation of the Hospital
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required by the Clinical Nurse Manager.
In the course of your employment, you may have access to or hear information concerning the personal or medical affairs of staff/patients or other health services business; such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instruction of an authorised person, on no account must personal information concerning staff, patients or the Hospital be divulged or discussed, except in the performance of normal duties.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
- Be a registered General Nurse
- Have at least one years Theatre experience
- Have experience of working in a multi-disciplinary clinical environment
- IT skills are desirable
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nursing, Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th November 2018.
Bon Secours Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer