Key Duties and Responsibilities
The key roles and responsibilities include:
- Provide efficient and effective management of St. Laurence’s ward in such a way as to provide a safe environment for patients and staff, while making the best use of time and resources.
- Promote collaboration within the multidisciplinary team and facilitate good communication with patients, their families, staff and all clinical departments.
- Demonstrate advanced specialist knowledge and exercise high levels of clinical judgment, discretion and decision making when providing clinical leadership in all aspects of patient care.
- Lead the multidisciplinary team and contribute to the development of positive staff morale within the multidisciplinary team through team building.
- To supervise, in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team, the delivery of patient care, ensuring patients’ needs are identified and nursing actions are planned, implemented, evaluated and then documented accurately.
- Act as patient advocate and assist the patient and their family to reach an informed decision where necessary.
- Ensure all documentation relating to patients is accurately maintained in patient’s medical record, adhering to the hospital documentation and hospital accepted abbreviation list.
- Implement and monitor medication policy in particular the safe custody and recording of controlled drugs, ensuring that the nurse in charge carries the medication press and drug trolley keys as per Hospital Policy.
- Arrange safe custody of drugs listed under the misuse of Drugs Act.
- Fully participate in promoting best practice, ensuring the delivery of quality patient care from admission to discharge taking into account the specific needs of individual patients.
- Plan, discharge or transfer patients to appropriate wards, ensuring all documentation accompanies the patients and clinical handover is given accurately and accordingly.
- Communicate with the wards and other departments to ensure continuity of nursing care and safe transfer of patients.
- Ensure all Hospital policies and procedures are implemented, revised, audited annually and available to all staff.
- Ensure that all nurses are familiar with and knowledgeable regarding the correct procedure to follow in the case of fire, loss of power, cardiac arrest and major incident.
- Ensure that all nurses are familiar with and knowledgeable regarding the implementation of safety measures in the storage and administration of blood, drugs, ionising radiation, static electricity, explosion hazards, and departmental cleaning, in accordance with best practice and Hospital policy.
- Ensure necessary equipment is available and functioning to meet service needs.
- Assist in the orientation of new staff members and participate in and conduct performance assessment of assigned staff in conjunction with the CNM II NPDU and ADON.
- Assist with the identification and assessment of staff training needs and in-service training programmes.
- Liaise closely with the Bed Utilisation/Scheduling Manager and Patient Flow Co-ordinator re the allocation of Inpatient beds, during core hours (Monday to Friday) and the ADON outside of core hours.
- Ensure the dignity of the patient is maintained and that all the procedures performed are in accordance with the ethics and philosophy of the Bon Secours Hospital.
- Ensure that deceased patients are treated with respect, their dignity maintained and personal religious or familial wishes are accommodated.
- Collaborate with the ADON to ensure safe and adequate skill-mix within available resources.
- Give regular reports and updates on the work of the ward to the ADON, DON and Hospital Manager.
- Attend the weekly hospital performance meeting and provide accurate data to the attendees of the meeting.
- Establish and maintain good communication with the Stores Department and be responsible for continuous stock management and control on St Laurence’s Ward.
- Record on Q-Pulse all incidents/complaints, investigate and monitor accidents, incidents/complaints, as necessary and take appropriate corrective action in consultation with other relevant staff.
- Inform the ADON and ensure that a full investigation of the complaints is carried out.
- Comply with the Health & Safety Regulations, ensuring safe working practices and a safe working environment.
- Maintain accurate daily and weekly records on the Time and Attendance Management system including attendance/annual leave/absenteeism/maternity leave/bank hours to be processed by the Payroll Department.
- Liaise closely with the ADON re staffing discrepancies or amendments re the Time and Attendance Management system.
- Lead and encourage the professional development of Nursing staff, Healthcare Assistants and Nursing Students in St. Laurence’s ward through the process of personal professional development (PPD), Preceptorship and Scope of Professional Practice.
- Participate in the process of retention and recruitment of Nursing staff and Healthcare Assistants.Be familiar with quality assurance standards and accreditation systems i.e. JCI and HIQA standards and research activities.
- Undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required from time to time.
- The Clinical Nurse Manager II must adhere to the Code of Professional Practice and Behaviours for Registered Nurses.
In the course of your employment, you may have access to or hear information concerning the medical or personal affairs of patients and/or staff, or other health services business. Such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instructions of an authorised officer, on no account must information concerning staff, patient or other health service business be divulged or discussed except in the performance of normal duty. In addition, records must never be left in such a manner that unauthorised persons can obtain access to them and must be kept in safe custody when no longer required.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder. This job description is subject to change in order to meet future developments at Bon Secours Hospital Dublin and may include any other duties and responsibilities as determined by the Director of Nursing.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
Person Specification Clinical Nurse Manager II – St Laurence’s Ward
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nursing, Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin Dublin 9 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st May 2019.
Bon Secours Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer