Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the Director of Nursing and Assistant Directors of Nursing in developing a programme to support nurse practice development and enhanced patient pathways across the hospital.
- Support the CNMs, staff nurses and healthcare assistants in the medical/surgical areas, to plan, develop, implement and evaluate clinical practice in accordance with best available evidence in order to influence innovations in practice and promote quality care for patients.
- Along with CNMs, assist staff nurses to move towards the level of expert practitioner in the clinical management of patient care recognising effective channels of communication with all healthcare professionals across the hospital.
- Engage with CNMs and key stakeholders to ensure delivery of safe quality patient care through early recognition of staff education and development with the clinical learning environment. Develop appropriate action plans as required.
- Support CNMs in assessing healthcare assistants to allow for healthcare assistant development in line with the delivery of safe quality patient care.
- Oversee and supervise student nurses in the absence of Clinical Placement Coordinator.
- Works collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Nursing with oversight for Practice Development, to develop and apply standardised processes to ensure quality and safety is central to the delivery of patient care and services provided at Bon Secours (i.e. development of patient information leaflets, patient charter, patient discharge information etc.).
- Assist with identifying, facilitating and implementing practice development projects in the clinical areas.
- In collaboration with the CNMs and ward staff, lead with the development of policies, protocols, guidelines and clinical competencies and their implementation.
- Assist with the provision of appropriate continuing education programmes to meet nurses’ competency developmental needs.
- Work with the ADON for Practice Development and CNMs in implementing action plans to improve clinical practice and staff development.
- Sit on appropriate multidisciplinary committees and sub-groups within the Nursing Practice Development Unit and at hospital level that are concerned with initiating practice development projects.
- Embrace change and acts to implement evidence based best practice where appropriate.
- Provide direct support to the hospital and frontline staff in relation to teaching and educational requirements ensuring patient care and safety is central to the workings of the hospital.
- Collaborate with the ADON for Practice Development and CNMs, to ensure appropriate training, education and evaluation takes place.
- In conjunction with CNMs and staff nurses, develop and continually revise clinical nursing skills and clinical competencies.
- Be familiar with the assessment criteria and process as applied to the Nursing Care Model as appropriate to the health system.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of the Bon Secours Health System Nursing Strategy.
- Co-ordinate educational sessions, in-service and mandatory training days to meet the needs of all grades of nursing staff and healthcare assistants.
- Create an environment for continuous lifelong professional and personal development and learning for all staff.
- In collaboration with CNMs provide guidance and facilitation to overseas nurses when completing placement for period of adaptation and assessment.
- Encourage staff to analyse information, interpret patient’s condition and develop clinical decision making skills based on available information.
- Work in partnership with the Clinical Facilitator Quality & Patient Safety to support the continuous development of evidence-based practice through local auditing processes.
- Work collaboratively with CNMs in the audit of clinical practice and the standards of care being provided, (i.e. Nursing Metrics).
- Provide leadership to all nursing staff in assisting with educational requirements to allow for the roll out of IT programmes such as Vi Clarity.
- Facilitate nurses in the development of audit tools to measure process and outcomes of nursing practice.
- Ensure that research and audit findings are disseminated and utilised in the delivery of patient care.
- Assist with the audit of practice development projects and the presentation of findings to clinical staff.
- Link with the Hospital Accreditation Programmes (JCI & JAG) and relevant personal in promoting best practice and continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrate ability to self-manage and organise own workload efficiently.
- Help foster a supportive working environment by demonstrating excellent leadership ability and communication skills.
- Communicate effectively with the Assistant Director of Nursing and CNMs regarding the progress and development of staff nurses within their area of responsibility.
- Demonstrate both clinical and professional leadership, enabling a multidisciplinary team culture of continuous staff learning and practice development.
- Be highly motived and have a vision of developing skills/competencies that are applicable to clinical areas.
- Develop a network of contacts and communication links with other professional that will assist in provision of expert advice to meet the needs of all grades of nursing staff.
- Attend managerial meetings that require the input of Nursing Practice Development Unit.
Personal & Professional Development
- Take responsibility for developing one’s own professional and personal development and be pro-active in developing own competencies in a structured way linked to regular professional, personal development planning.
- Practice within Hospital policies and procedures, Scope of Professional Conduct and Scope of Nursing Practice.
- Undertake appropriate further training and education to enable you to practice within a variety of clinical medical/surgical areas and enable you to support the service needs within the scope of professional practice.
- The CNM II must adhere to the Code of Professional Practice and Behaviours for Registered Nurses.
- Communicates effectively in the English language, both written, and spoken as appropriate to job requirements.
- Undertakes other duties and tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Nursing, as appropriate to the role.
In the course of your employment, you may have access to or hear information concerning the personal or medical affairs of staff/patients or other health services business, such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instructions of an authorised person, on no account must information concerning staff, patient or other health service business be divulged or discussed except in the performance of normal duty.
In addition, care must be taken that a patient’s medical records are never left in such a place that unauthorised persons may obtain access to them and must be kept in safe custody when no longer required.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder. The duty roster of the CPC needs to be flexible to meet the needs of students during their placements.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
Person Specification Clinical Nurse Manager II - Nurse Practice Development Unit
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nurisng,
Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 or email to email@example.com by 26th March 2019