Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The key roles and responsibilities include:
- Provide orientation and supervision for new nursing staff, ensuring that they are aware of the policies and procedures to be followed.
- Identify training needs of the Nursing and Health Care Assistant team whilst providing support where necessary.
- Encourage evidence based practice, using a care planning approach to nursing care to ensure that patients receive a high standard of continuous care throughout the night. Monitor and evaluate the care given.
- Collaborate with medical, paramedical and others to devise a plan of care. Ensure that it is implemented and evaluated.
- In consultation with the CNM 11 and other disciplines, implement and assess quality management programmes.
- Engage with key stakeholders to ensure high standards of care are delivered and maintained for patients, staff and visitors.
- To support the Pastoral Care team especially with terminally ill patients.
- To ensure that all patients are allowed to die with dignity and respect and to act as a support to the patients’ family.
- To prepare the body with due respect and transfer to the Mortuary Chapel.
- Proactively manages quality and safety standards at local level.
- To maintain a safe and satisfactory hospital service at night.
- To liaise with the NCHD (SHO on call) regarding patient’s condition and to liaise with patient’s Consultant if necessary.
- To be a support to ex-patients who may ring the hospital with queries/problems.
- To inform Night ADON of all calls received from all patients and any subsequent calls to Consultants regarding patient’s condition.
- To respond effectively to emergency situations.
- To comply with Health & Safety Regulations, infection control guidelines in the prevention of hospital acquired infection and fire regulations ensuring safe working practices and a safe working environment for all patients, staff and visitors.
- To dispense urgently required drugs (not available on wards) from Pharmacy following hospital guidelines.
- To counter check blood/blood products required from the Laboratory when required.
- Deputise for the CNM 11/Night ADON as required by providing supportive supervision of nursing staff and to ensure all patients receive quality care throughout the night.
- When deputising receives Nursing reports on patient’s progress from Day ADON and prepare morning nursing handover reports for Day ADON and Pastoral Care.
- When deputising investigate and report all incidents/accidents/difficulties concerning patients and staff to the Director of Nursing documenting full details, being aware of legal requirements and implications.
- To ensure the Night Nurses maintain good communications and liaise effectively with the day staff creating a team approach and promote a good working environment.
- To prepare and document nightly staff attendance records.
- Liaise with Night Security man to ensure the Hospital is a safe place for staff and patients:
- To ensure internal/external security
- Adequate lighting on stairwells
- Dimmers are in working order
- Alarms are activated and windows/doors are locked
- Grounds are patrolled at regular intervals
- Cameras are viewed constantly
- The CNM I must adhere to the Code of Professional Practice and Behaviours for Registered Nurses. Is aware and understands the need to adhere to hospital and/or professional standards, policies and procedures, relevant to there are of practice.
- Communicates effectively in English language, both written, and spoken as appropriate to job requirements.
In the course of your employment you may have access to or hear information concerning the personal or medical affairs of staff/patients or other health service business, such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instruction of an authorised person, on no account must personal information concerning staff, patients or the hospital be divulged or discussed except in the performance of normal duty.
In addition care must be taken that a patients medical records are never left in such a manner that unauthorised persons can obtain access to them and kept in safe custody when no longer required.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder. The Hospital reserves the right to reasonably review/update the duties/terms of this position, periodically, to meet the needs of the department and with participation from the post holder.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
Person Specification Clinical Nurse Manager I Night Duty
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nursing, Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin Dublin 9 or email to email@example.com by 31st May 2019.
Bon Secours Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer