Purpose of the Role
The role of the Clinical Nurse Manager I is to encompass a clinical, management and education focus comprising of assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of care given to cardiovascular patients and their families within the guiding philosophy of the Bon Secours Hospital’s Mission, Values and Ethos. The role requires the post holder to develop the scope of specialist nursing practice, be accountable, competent, supervise and continue professional development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The key roles and responsibilities include:
- Assess, plan, implement, evaluate and document care within the Unit.
- Provide specialist clinical advice, direction and support to nursing staff to enable development and safeguarding of quality nursing service.
- Demonstrate advanced specialist knowledge and provide clinical leadership in patient care.
- Exercise high levels of clinical judgement, discretion and decision making.
- Ensure all nursing and non-nursing tasks are carried out promptly, professionally and safely.
- Implement and monitor medication policy, in particular the safe custody and recording of controlled drugs, ensuring that the nurse in charge carries the medication press and drug trolley keys as per Hospital Policy.
- Ensure all documentation relating to patients is accurately maintained in the patient’s medical record, adhering to the Hospital documentation and Hospital accepted abbreviation list.
- Maintain good communication with all patients and staff.
- To implement, communicate and/or delegate Consultant’s instructions regarding patient care when necessary.
- Execute instructions as directed by the multidisciplinary team.
- Fully participate in promoting Best Practice, ensuring the delivery of quality patient care from admission to discharge taking into account the specific needs of individual patients.
- Protect patient confidentiality at all times.
- Collaborate with the Director of Nursing, Assistant Directors of Nursing and the Clinical Nurse Manager II in the development of lead initiatives that will enhance health gain for patients in the Department.
- Assess, report and respond to complaints from patients and relatives.
- Ensure all equipment is working properly and sent for repair or withdrawn from service if damaged/unsuitable for clinical use.
- Deputise for the CNM II when necessary, i.e. Ward management, staff meetings, huddle and carry out any other relevant duties as may be assigned to the post from time to time.
- Develop operational, strategic and service goals for the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory in collaboration with the CNM II.
- Lead, manage and motivate the nursing team, delegate responsibility and accountability to staff nurses/HCAs as appropriate at the direction of and in conjunction with the CNM II.
- Supervise and influence standards of professionalism in the Ward, i.e. dress code, hospitality and diplomacy.
- Maintain an accurate reporting system of near misses, occurrences, incidents, complaints and co-ordinate risk management activities with other quality initiatives.
- Co-ordinate Ward day-to-day activities, maintain good communication and liaise effectively with all departments within the Hospital, as well as external organisations to ensure smooth delivery of quality services to patients.
- Maintain a safe environment within the guidelines of safety and best practice and to comply with statutory obligations, e.g. GDPR, Health and Safety at Work Act, 1989.
- Manage staffing levels and skill mix according to patient dependency and activity of the Ward by providing assistance in devising rosters with the CNM II.
- Maintain and update the Nurse Management System and TAMS daily ensuring adequate staffing levels, flexibility, equity and fairness with annual leave/time off and cost effective cover in conjunction with the CNM II.
- Ensure that Hospital policies and procedures are known, understood and adhered to by all staff members.
- Assess, evaluate and take corrective action if necessary, on quality standards in all areas e.g. environmental hygiene, nursing metrics, KPIs.
- Provide good professional leadership and vision, facilitate team building and planned care.
- Support and develop a philosophy of nursing that underpins the Mission, Vision and Ethos of the Bon Secours Hospital.
- Develop a shared sense of commitment and participation amongst staff in change management, in responding to the health needs of the patients.
- Communicate effectively with the Bed Utilisation Manager and Admissions, if required.
- Educate all nursing and allied staff, including orientation of new staff to the speciality to develop excellent work practice and standards.
- Provide mentorship and develop an educational programme for those within the speciality.
- Support and participate in education and in-service programmes for all stuff, students and other allied staff.
- Supervise, support and foster a god clinical learning environment for new staff and pre-registration students.
- Promote self care and wellness through patient education, health promotion and training, communication with relatives and significant others, in order that the patient will have an understanding of their cardiac condition, thereby increasing compliance with treatment and advice.
- Maintain an open communication with Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Facilitator and Co-Ordinators, to promote excellence in clinical practice.
- Ensure high standard of professionalism through ongoing education.
- Stimulate and support clinical and research initiatives to enhance patient care.
- Keep abreast with current research, both medical and nursing to ensure evidence based practice and research is utilised and contribute to nursing research that is relevant to the speciality.
- Demonstrate a high level of interest in advances in the clinical management of patient care by attending, participating and engaging in continuous professional education.
In the course of your employment, you may have access to or hear information concerning the medical or personal affairs of patients and/or staff, or other health services business. Such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instructions of an authorised officer, on no account must information concerning staff, patient or other health service business be divulged or discussed except in the performance of normal duty. In addition, records must never be left in such a manner that unauthorised persons can obtain access to them and must be kept in safe custody when no longer required.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder. This job description is subject to change in order to meet future developments at Bon Secours Hospital Dublin and may include any other duties and responsibilities as determined by the Director of Nursing.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
Person Specification - Clinical Nurse Manager I - Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory
Essential Qualifications: Registered General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland.
Desirable Qualifications: Possess a Post Graduate Qualification in Cardiovascular Nursing
Essential Experience: Have a minimum of 3-5 years relevant clinical experience in a cardiac setting. Have proven clinical and professional managerial ability leadership and communication skills.
Desirable Experience: Teaching and Assessing Course. Display evidence of continuing professional development. Expressed interest in teaching and mentorship.
Technical/Clinical Competencies: Demonstrate IT skills; experience in personal and professional development of staff; exprience in teaching and assessing.
Behavioural Competencies: People Management; Team Player; Communication; Quality & Safety Services; Planning and Organising and Continuous Learning and Development.
Other factors which are essential to the role: Commitment to the overall aims of the Bon Secours Mission, Vision and Values. A flexible, positive attitude to performing a wide range of duties to meet the needs of the service.
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nursing, Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 or email to email@example.com by 4th October 2021.
Bon Secours Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer