The post holder is primarily responsible for the provision of a high quality and safe nursing service across the hospital. This will involve professional leadership to nursing staff at all levels, providing professional advice, contributing to the development and implementation of Nursing policy and strategy, ensuring achievement of its objectives and proactively developing nursing roles in accordance with the needs of the patients. He/she will operationalise the core values of Nursing by ensuring the patient experience in wards/departments/units is of the highest possible standard at all times with particular emphasis on dignity, kindness and compassion.
The philosophy guiding the position is to promote and preserve the Bon Secours Mission, Values and Ethos in the management responsibility of the Hospital in your role as Assistant Director of Nursing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The post holder will be responsible for the provision of the highest standard of nursing care to patients, working closely with the Director of Nursing, Hospital Manager, and Assistant Director of Nursing colleagues.
- Provides professional leadership to all nursing staff fostering a culture which values continuing professional development and strives for excellence in the delivery of patient care and quality improvement in line with Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards for Hospitals.
- Ensures a culture of nursing leadership, development, innovation and living the hospital values is embedded and promoted across all clinical areas/departments and acts as a professional role model for all nurses at all times.
- Collaborates and works with ADON colleagues in leading on the development and implementation of nursing aspects of the hospital’s strategy and provides advice as required on nursing and patient experience issues, in accordance with local and national policy.
- Works collaboratively with other professional leads in developing a culture which embeds clinical quality and patient safety, and monitors its effectiveness to ensure continuous improvement.
- Builds an environment of excellence and innovation that empowers nurses to be active participants in the multidisciplinary team pan hospital, and within the Bon Secours Health System Group.
- Identifies opportunities for developing nursing roles in order to positively impact on the patient experience and maximise the potential of individual staff members or teams.
- Responds to the direction/lead of the Director of Nursing and works in collaboration with him/her on all professional nursing issues across the hospital as required.
- Leads and manages the senior nursing team in the assigned areas of responsibility, which promotes leadership attitudes and clinical leadership capability at all levels in nursing in the hospital. Also, undertaking regular performance review and overseeing personal/professional development plans.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Nursing and Hospital Manager in balancing the challenges of providing high quality, safe services, with excellent outcomes and in a way that delivers efficiencies and meets the expectations of patients and the public.
- Participate fully in the duty roster set up by the Director of Nursing including supporting and deputising for the Director of Nursing as required.
- Collaborates and works with ADON colleagues on the review of workforce plans for Nursing and on quarterly nursing staffing level reviews in the hospital.
- In collaboration with the Director of Nursing manages nursing recruitment, retention, absenteeism & professional development to ensure efficient and effective delivery of patient care.
- Provides mentorship, coaching, supervision and shadowing opportunities to Nursing and Health Care Assistants and Support Workers in order to support their development.
- Collaborates with other staff in key leadership roles to support the achievement of the organisation’s strategic financial and operational goals.
- Maintain accurate daily and weekly records on the Time and Attendance Management system including attendance/annual leave/sick leave/absenteeism/maternity leave/bank hours to be processed by Payroll Department.
- Ensure all mandatory training is completed within specified time frames.
- Attend Management Meetings – Heads of Department; Clinical Nurse Managers as appropriate and serve on working groups or committees deemed appropriate to the role.
- Develop and maintain good communication throughout the nursing teams and others involved directly or indirectly with patient care to ensure a patient focused service. Receive reports on patients’ progress during the 24 hour period from nursing staff and relay to the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing at each change of shift.
- Take responsibility for Bed Management out of hours in the absence of the Bed Utilisation/Scheduling Manager and ensure correct bed sense is maintained at midnight.
Quality, Patient Safety & Risk Service
- Takes responsibility for performance of care, professional standards, and quality improvement agendas ensuring communication of performance reaches all Nursing grades, Health Care Assistants and Support Workers across the assigned area of responsibility within the hospital.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Nursing and the Quality and Risk Manager and his/her team in monitoring safe effective care to patients.
- Ensure that the Hospital’s Health and Safety, Fire and other statutory regulations are adhered to and updated.
- Maintain the safe custody of the pharmacy keys to support the enabling of a supply of medicines in the absence of the pharmacist out-of-hours.
- Be familiar with all alarm panels/exits in the Hospital and have knowledge of action to be taken if alarm is activated. Liaise with and direct night security personnel, as required. Also, take the lead in emergency situations as appropriate, e.g. cardiac arrest/fire.
- Leads on nursing metrics across the assigned area of responsibility within the Hospital, providing assurance on data quality to the Director of Nursing, Quality and Risk Manager and the Group Director of Quality and Patient Safety.
- Works with key personnel in the Facilities and Support Services Department to ensure maintenance of clean and safe clinical environments across the hospital.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Nursing, Hospital Manager, Quality and Risk Manager and his/her team in conducting investigations into complaints, adverse incidents and providing written responses to formal complaints as required.
Patient Experience and Service Improvement
- Delivers improvements in patient experience through making the patient central to all activities of the Hospital and “championing” the patient experience with dignity, respect and compassion.
- Leads trend analysis of complaints, concerns, compliments and comments across assigned area of responsibility and ensure that this is reported centrally (Q-Pulse) to the office of the Quality and Risk Manager.
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Nursing, Clinical Director, ADON colleagues, and specialities to develop and apply standardised integrated care pathways and rapid recovery protocols, thereby ensuring quality and safety is central to the delivery of patient care and services provided at Bon Secours.
- Builds on the existing strengths of the nursing workforce to develop new patterns of working that are enabling improved patient care and better patient experiences.
- Works with Bed Utilisation/Scheduling Manager and Patient Flow Co-Ordinator to understand expected bed demand informing optimal use of hospital bed stock through effective admission, planning and discharge management. Also, participate in the Coordinated Discharge Patient Tracker “Home by 11am” project.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Nursing, Hospital Manager, Clinical Director, and ADON colleagues in agreeing key performance metrics and the implementation and monitoring of the metrics hospital wide.
In the course of your employment, you may have access to or hear information concerning the medical or personal affairs of patients and/or staff, or other health services business. Such records and information are strictly confidential and unless acting on the instructions of an authorised officer, on no account must information concerning staff, patient or other health service business be divulged or discussed except in the performance of normal duty. In addition, records must never be left in such a manner that unauthorised persons can obtain access to them and must be kept in safe custody when no longer required.
This job description is subject to periodic revision following discussion with the post holder.
Policies and Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of this post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin, which may be amended from time to time.
Person Specification Assistant Director of Nursing
Interested applicants should submit a letter and C.V. addressed to the Director of Nursing, Bon Secours Hospital, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st January 2019.
Bon Secours Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer